December 14, 2017

FdSTL First Day of Christmas: A Croissant in a Christmas Tree


Bonjour readers! 

It's been un moment and I am overjoyed to be back to the Fleur de St. Louis community. Vous m'avez manqué. I just love this French expression that literally translates to "you have been missing from me". In the almost month that has passed since I've posted, not a day has gone by that I haven't thought about this blog. In the midst of studying seven French novels/films as I work toward my bachelor's degree in French, my teaching career, and everything that life has brought in between, I needed to take a moment to be gracious with myself. More progress in some areas meant less progress in others, but I'm coming to the understanding that this is OK. I have arrived at a moment where I can turn my attention back to sharing all things with a little French flair and I am truly in my happy place. And in the time I've been away, I've also been planning a little treat: a Fleur de St. Louis 12 Days of Christmas series to enjoy each day as December 25 draws near. 

Here we are, December 14, the official "first day of Christmas". A partridge in a pear tree... a croissant in a Christmas tree... get it? :) Just a little taste of what you can expect over the next twelve days of this holiday season, and I am so full of excitement for all of the French flair I have to share! 

Now, back to that croissant. At the beginning of November, I spent a weekend in Chicago with my mom, French style bien sûr! It was on this trip that I laid eyes on the most adorable croissant ornament and I just knew it had to hang on my tree. It was also on this trip that I enjoyed one of my favorite croissants in the Midwest: the almond croissant at Chicago's authentic French bakery, La Fournette. Let's be real. With croissants, what's not to love? It's flaky layers of buttery goodness all rolled up in the perfect little viennoiserie present. I'll be the first to admit, I'm a little croissant crazy, and I'm totally good with it. 

Click here to listen to one of my favorite French teachers, Carrie Anne of French is Beautiful, pronounce this lovely French word. (Here she is talking about a specific type of croissant, the pain au chocolate, but she says croissant at about 7 seconds.) Don't you just love the way it rolls of the tongue? Croissant. Oh so French.

Here in St. Louis, Comme à la Maison (authentically French) and La Pâtisserie Chouquette are my croissant go-to's. In Paris, Tony and I enjoyed croissants at Claus, Angelina, Coquelicot, and Télescope. I can't honestly tell you which one I liked best - I was so giddy to be in PARIS that everything tasted quite incredible. That said, I would love to do croissant tasting justice the next time I am in Paris just like Rebecca Plotnick of Every Day Parisian. Here is her list of the best croissants, and I think Du Pain et Des Idées will be my first croissant stop the next time I'm in the city of light. While you are checking out Rebecca's blog, be sure to stop by her shop where she sells beautiful photography including this mouthwatering croissant print


A croissant at La Fournette

 A croissant at La Pâtisserie Chouquette

 A croissant (and brioche) at Comme à la Maison

For more croissant inspired gifts, check out this list below:
Phone Case
Art Print
Croissant Necklace (I've had my eye on this ever since I saw it on a store clerk in Copenhagen...) 


(My phone case and an adorable scarf I picked up at Sept Cinq in Paris)

Who knew I had so much to say about croissants?! Do you have a favorite croissant in France and/or in your hometown? I would love to hear from you in the comments below. I'm always interested in adding to my list, wherever my travels may take me. 

I look forward to seeing you back tomorrow for Fleur de St. Louis' second day of Christmas. If you like what you're reading, be sure to subscribe so that each new post will arrive in your inbox for you to enjoy!


I am so so happy to be back.
Warm wishes from me to you,

SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...