August 16, 2017

Follow your dreams and doors will open.


Today I met with one of my professors that will be working with me this semester as I begin to take steps toward my dream of finishing my BA in French. She was so welcoming and encouraging, and as I walked out of her office I was overwhelmed with the feeling that I am currently in the exact place I am meant to be at this moment. 

I got to this place because I made a decision to stop thinking/wondering about what my life might be if I followed the passions that speak to me and took action. I stopped fighting against what my heart was telling me and I began to let it take me downstream. I continued dreaming, but partnered it with doing. Since I made that decision to pursue my passions, so many doors have opened for me.

I got to that meeting with my professor because I started asking questions about what it would look like to continue my studies in French. I asked an acquaintance who put my question out to colleagues on Facebook. From there, a local university reached out and I felt an inviting warmth. I started setting up meetings, filling out applications, making a plan... but it didn't feel like work. Of course I put a lot of time and effort into it, but because it was all in the name of a dream I have had for many years now, it came naturally.

A few days ago I saw a friend who I haven't seen in a while. She told me that she noticed a positive change in me, that I was singing a whole different tune than I was singing this time last year. Those words meant the world to me, because not only am I noticing those changes in myself but I am projecting a much better version of myself out into the world.

I was inspired to share this story with you as I recently started listening to the podcast Don't Keep Your Day Job with Cathy Heller. The first several episodes have all had a similar theme: get clear about what it is you really want in life and then take action. Don't just dream it, do it. And then share your story.

I'm on my journey now, and I feel so incredibly energized. It is my sincere hope that in sharing my story with you here on Fleur de St. Louis that you will feel inspired to do, to take action toward whatever it is that you are carrying in your heart. Don't write it off as impossible. Just see where it takes you, and I am confident doors will open for you too. 

And one final note that can be challenging: be patient. The doors might not open right away. One of my favorite bloggers Shannon Ables touched on this in her weekly newsletter on Friday. Her words say it so beautifully that I wanted to share them with you:

"Isn't that a wonderful lesson to always remember: Sometimes the outcomes we want take time. Sometimes we need to trust what we don't want to hear at the moment, "you're not ready, the situation you are hoping for isn't ready for you", is actually what will better serve us down the road. If you are hearing just those phrases, take it as a nudging to enjoy the life you have right now. Savor it, jump in head first and make the most of it because as we know, life's path can change without expectation, and often for the better. So why not be someone who had it good before, but now has it quite wonderful now, and you can celebrate because you know you made the most of both chapters."

The professor I mentioned in the beginning left me with some simple but powerful advice: "Just enjoy." Wherever you are on your journey, enjoy it as it unfolds. As Shannon communicated through her newsletter, I believe that most of the time there is amazing in store, something that we may have never even imagined. 

There are so many wonderful people who have been encouraging me along the way. If you have something you are thinking about taking action on but you just need that nudge, send me an e-mail or leave a comment below. I would love to talk to you so that we can encourage each other on our journeys to live the life of our dreams.

Warmest wishes! 
Happy dreaming AND doing from me to you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...