April 17, 2017

Mes Livres de Chevet: The Sweetness of Forgetting by Kristin Harmel


Today I am launching a new series on the blog, Mes Livres de Chevet. About a week ago I was sitting in my French class talking about books with my classmates. I was describing the stack of books to be read next to my bed, and my instructor replied, "Oh! Ton livre de chevet!". This translates to "your bedside book" in English, and it is a phrase the French use to express that a particular book is their favorite. I just love how different languages have such charming phrases that perfectly express what you want to communicate.

Through this series, I will feature and review my favorite reads in hopes that you too will find some new livres de chevet, some new favorites. I took the liberty of making this plural because to choose one livre de chevet would be a very tall order! 

First up, a book that was recommended on Modern Mrs Darcy's podcast What Should I Read Next?: The Sweetness of Forgetting by Kristin Harmel.

If you love a sweet family story full of pastries with a Paris connection, you will instantly fall for this book like I did. The story follows a woman named Hope who has recently undergone a divorce and is struggling to find the finances necessary to sustain her Cape Cod family bakery. On top of that, her mother has passed from cancer, her preteen daughter is experiencing a rebellious phase, and her grandmother is suffering from Alzheimer's. As if there could be more, there's also a secret that could unlock the truth behind Hope's family history, the truth behind who she really is. At the moment when it seems everything has fallen apart, some pretty incredible things begin to fall together. 

This story isn't all pastries and Paris. Kristin Harmel weaves these elements in as she dives into the history of WWII in France, the presence of God, and the ultimate goodness in people. This book will break your heart at times, but in the end it will give you hope and remind you to always have the courage to "seize life's chances, before the years pass you by." 

I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did. I can't wait to continue working through my "to be read" list in search of my next livre de chevet. Do you have a livre de chevet, a favorite book or books? I would love to hear about it in the comments! 


Warm wishes from me to you,
Lauren



2 comments:

  1. I listened to this same novel as an audiobook and enjoyed the layering of bakery recipes, plot & character development and history. The grandmother speaks with a French accent in the audio version and it sets her scenes with romantic mystery and longing. I enjoyed the story very much. While it would not be considered high brown literature, it is perfect night stand reading material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the audiobook sounds so fun! Sometimes audiobooks enhance the experience for sure (other times not as much - totally depends on narration). I'm such a hard copy in my hand kind of girl. :) Agreed, this is a really enjoyable read!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...